Clubs > Brighouse Rangers > Early Days
Early Days
The original Brighouse Rangers Football Club was founded during the1870s.
Brighouse Rangers Football Club first entered the Rugby Union in 1879 when they played their games from “Fink Hill” field. Four years later they obtained an improved site at Waterloo Road, Lane Head (where St. Andrews Junior School fields are today). This would remain as their home for the next thirteen seasons. During that time, the club had a variety of headquarters including the Albion Hotel on Waterloo Road until it acquired its own clubhouse, known locally as the “White House”.
Brighouse Rangers grew in strength as a club and boasted an England international in the guise of Billy Nichol. Their finest hour came in the 1894/95 season when Brighouse Rangers were crowned Yorkshire Cup champions beating Morley 16 points to 4 in front of 20,000 at Headingley, Leeds.

Later the same year, 1895, at the famous meeting at the George Hotel in Huddersfield, Brighouse Rangers were one of the founder members of a new league and H H Waller of Brighouse Rangers was elected the first Northern Rugby Football Union Chairman.
Local flour manufacturer, Thomas Sugden, was linked to the club through his eldest grandson, Richard E Sugden, who played for the club and went on to play for Yorkshire. The club had many highs and lows during the following years. The highest home gate was a crowd of 6000 when they were defeated 3-15 by Bradford.
Brighouse Rangers were a semi-professional outfit although their “A” Team did compete as amateurs in the Halifax Infirmary Cup.
Brighouse Rangers continued in the Northern Rugby Football Union until at their annual general meeting in the summer 1906 Brighouse Rangers the decision was taken to disband due to financial problems. The club’s property was auctioned off and raised £116 which was almost enough to pay off the club’s debts.