Early Years

Ovenden A.R.L.F.C. was formed at a meeting in the Railway Hotel, Nursery Lane, in August 1939, and played the first game against Highroad Well the following month on a pitch which is now the site of Dean Field School. The club colours were set at that early stage as red and white hoops. Ovenden soon moved their ground to Mason Green whilst retaining their headquarters at the Railway Inn which also provided the changing accommodation.
After the War, Ovenden played at various grounds: a pitch behind St. Mary’s Church, at the top of Moor Lane and a season at Natty Lane before moving to Four Fields in 1949. Changing accommodation was then provided at Forest Cottage. Four Fields was to remain their ground for the next seventy years.